The Board of West Australian Sports Federation (WASF), trading as SportWest, is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information that the organisation collects, holds and administers. Personal information is information that directly or indirectly identifies a person.
SportWest is committed to the protection of personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (“Act”) and the Australian Privacy Principles.
This Policy applies to the collection, use, disclosure and storage of personal information by SportWest. It also sets out how personal information may be accessed.
SportWest collects and administers a range of personal information for the purposes of membership registration under the Constitution and personal information relating to office bearers. The organisation is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information it collects, holds and administers.
SportWest recognises the essential right of individuals to have their information administered in ways which they would reasonably expect – protected on one hand and made accessible to them on the other. These privacy rules are reflected in and supported by our core values and philosophies.
3.1 Collection of Personal Information
Personal information may be collected in hard copy or electronically, as well as verbally over the phone. Personal information is only collected for its relevance to the relationship that SportWest has with its staff and Members.
- will only collect personal information which the organisation requires for its primary function, e.g. name, phone numbers, email, addresses, bank details and photos
- may also collect sensitive information to allow us to provide service to Members, e.g. dietary requirements
- may collect personally information provided by, e.g. information provided in response to surveys
- will ensure that stakeholders are informed as to why we collect the information and how we administer the information gathered
3.2 Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
SportWest uses personal information to provide services to its Members, and otherwise as required or authorised by law. Personal information may also be used to provide service at functions and activities.
We may be required by law to provide personal information to others outside SportWest.
- use and disclose personal information only for the primary purposes for which it was collected or a directly related purpose
- use personal information to provide you with products or services
- use personal information to provide you with information about relevant activities and opportunities
- use personal information to carry out market research and surveys
- manage and provide you with access to IT systems
- obtain the person’s consent to use their personal information for any other purpose
SportWest may disclose your personal information to:
- companies that we have engaged to carry out functions and activities on our behalf;
- our professional advisors, including our accountants and lawyers
- our insurers
- third party service providers, which may include third party service providers located overseas
3.3 Storage of Personal Information
Information that is collected will be managed and maintained by SportWest and our third-party cloud storage service provider.
- take all reasonable steps to make sure that personal information is securely stored, protecting it from unauthorised access, including the use of encryption, firewalls and passwords to control access to our computer system
- Provide stakeholders with access to their own information, and the right to seek its correction.
Any person who believes that SportWest holds personal information relevant to them is permitted to seek access to that information and will be responsible for providing updated information.